Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Incredible India"

It has been an unforgettable journey!





“And to think these days men get away with
giving flowers and chocolates to their wives.”

Final Thoughts

Visiting India has been a tremendous and life-changing experience; everyone that we met here was friendly and welcoming. India is one of the most densely populated nations in the world. While many have reached high levels of success, due in part to the growth of information and technology fields, there are so many more who struggle to eek out a meager living. At the heart of my experience is an appreciation for the people who have to surmount incredible obstacles on a daily basis and yet seem to meet life with a smile. When I cried for the beggars on the street a wise Indian friend said, “it’s O.K., they are happy, Indians take care of each other.” I wrestle with that but have come to accept the fact that even the wild dogs in the streets are fed.

Historically I feel that the nation of India has been struggling to come into her own. With independence from the British in 1947 came new challenges. This is a nation seeking an identity that is not linked to the boundaries of the past but is unique and proud of the diversities in the culture that makes up India today. It is a nation that is on the rise and seeking a spot in the world economy. We have come here to study the education system that will play an integral part in the future of this country.

With the majority of the population under 25 years of age, many of the hopes and dreams for India lie in the hands of the children. 46 percent of the world’s illiterate live in this country. We have observed examples of exceptional schools that are providing high quality education at an affordable cost. While education is offered to all, there are many children that never set foot inside a classroom. Certainly the system has flaws, but there is dedication and perseverance in people on so many levels. I believe there is a great hope for a bright future in the educational system, and for India as an emerging nation. India is working hard to educate its youth and make life better for the next generation.

I am going to miss many things about India…

The food has been great. Many of India’s population are Hindus so it is veggie heaven! I will miss the friends I have made, the smiles of strangers, the colorful clothing, hopping into motor rickshaws to go shopping, the hustle and bustle of the cities, the beautiful temples and historic sites, I will miss staying in wonderful hotels where we are treated like royalty, and I am the only one of the group who will miss the hot, humid weather.

I won’t miss …

the pollution, the traffic jams, crazy driving, bad roads, the mud, the garbage on the streets, “non-western” toilets, taking off my shoes at religious shrines,no garbage cans anywhere, rickshaw drivers who want to drive you to your destination via the gift shop (where they get a commission), the street vendors relentless pressure to buy their trinkets and the hectic pace that has not subsided since we got here.

Thank you
I am grateful to the United States Education Foundation in India. Dr. Girish Kaul and the wonderful people at the “USEFI” offices in India were responsible for planning our very intricate program schedule. They have gone out of their way for us. They planned a well-rounded seminar that included lectures, visits to schools, museums, cultural sites and interesting field trips. They arranged for travel to eight different cities throughout India and made sure we got to each day’s venue. It is a monumental task that was executed efficiently down to the minutest of details. Thank you to the U.S. Department of Education that funds the Fulbright –Hays Seminars Abroad Program and made this trip possible.

It is time to say good-bye…

Along the way we have made many dear friends. I would particularly like to mention a few of the many people that I got to know in India. My friend Varrtika has welcomed me into her heart and I greatly enjoyed her company on our many excursions. Azhar, our travel coordinator has patiently, and efficiently gotten 16 teachers and all of our luggage to each destination and made our travel so easy. He has endured our American sense of humor and we have all enjoyed many laughs together. My cooperating teacher, Lawania is a true professional and dedicated teacher. He has helped me in developing a final project for my classroom and made my visit to his school very special.

Finally, thanks to my family and friends who support me in my many endeavors. I missed everyone and it is good to be home!

Incredible India
It has been an unforgettable journey
Namaste
Barbara Delaney

No comments: