Friday, July 25, 2008

Why can’t the chick cross the street?

Subway in Pune

Yellow light means hurry up to make the light!

Six kids in a rickshaw

Just try to cross the street

Mom picking up her son from school


The traffic is a nightmare here in Pune, as it is in every city we have been to. Most of the people ride motor skooters or have tiny cars. It is not uncommon to see entire families riding on one bike. The motorized three-wheeled rickshaws beep their horns as they carry passengers to their destinations. It is crazy driving! First of all they ride on the right side of the road. You might not even know this because everyone ignores all rules of the road including which lane to drive in. You ride just inches from the vehicle next to you. And forget walking! Crossing the street is an Olympic event here. No one slows down including the walkers. If you want to cross the street you just walk right into the traffic and weave through to the other side. Traffic comes at you from ten different directions. Throw a cow in the middle of the road, dogs walking down the street and carts carring fruit and you might understand why driving in India is not for the timid and faint of heart.

Tonight, I ventured out by myself for a walk to get something to eat. I managed to get onto a road that led me to a Subway restaurant. I ordered my veggie sub (the works, hold the chili peppers), took the picture, and left. The problem was I had to cross the street to get home. I kept walking down the street but the traffic never stopped. There weren’t any crosswalks or traffic lights. I was in traffic jail! I gave serious thought to hiring a rickshaw to take me across. It was scary but eventually I had to make a break for it. I just closed my eyes and hoped for the best. I decided just to go back to my room and eat, it was too stressful going for a walk.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi barbara!!!
finally had time to check out your blog!! very entertaining - i love your stories & photos. THANK YOU!!! reading your posts makes me want to book a flight to india. i was thinking 'when is my next day off, i HAVE to go there'. haha. i even ordered "holy cow: an indian adventure" to read on my flight to vietnam!

so much to comment on! you are really getting the royal treatment over there, how wonderful! the kids seem so behaved and disciplined. loved the bright colored outfits in the dance photos...traffic & crossing the street - ha! i know EXACTLY what you are talking about. i had the same experience in egypt. it's kinda of like playing frogger, isn't it?:) good luck on your future road crosses - i like the idea of hiring a rickshaw, i think that's the safest way! so sad to hear about the poverty and the way of living... i visualize what you write - it's the same in so many countries:( didn't know about the bombing in prune - did anyone die? scary! chennai & their recycling system = brilliant! the temples look amazing! kolkata & 48 languages - wow, interesting! how many dialects are there in india? the orphanage & special ed - very touching! market & shopping - fun!! have you bought a lot? everything cheap?:) how is the food there? (besides the school snacks & subway, haha).

glad you are having an AMAZING time! can't wait to to read more...

we miss you at RunClub! everyone says hi!

have fun!
:) elaine

p.s. there is ONE gym in india that teaches les mills body pump, hehe. it's in bombay:) are you going there? :)